iM-4 - Suzuki’s new mini 4x4 conceptMar 03, 2015
Suzuki Motor Corporation unveils its world-premiere concept model, the iM-4, at the 85th Geneva Motor Show. Since releasing the LJ series in 1970, Suzuki has been constantly coming up with new ideas in the compact SUV and crossover categories with models such as the first Vitara in 1988 and SX4 in 2006. The iM-4 is our vision for a new compact 4x4 that embodies that DNA while bristling with the latest technology. Its innovativeness, uniqueness and Suzuki’s DNA make it the iconic mini 4x4.
The theme of this car is: “Shape the Inspiration.” The iM-4 is a personal vehicle that opens up new possibilities and new ways to have fun.
Packaged in a simple yet iconic design, the compact iM-4 is intelligent but tough, offering reliable performance rooted in the Suzuki 4x4 tradition coupled with the latest fuel-saving technology. The minimalist design blends perfectly into the driver’s lifestyle, while its distinctive character brings real inspiration to the daily routine.
With its 4WD system, high minimum ground clearance, and high hip point, the iM-4 is designed to be your credible partner that is easy to drive while also offering performance that lets you confidently drive in snow and on unpaved roads. It has a user-friendly interior and luggage area, and also incorporates cutting-edge technology with a new-generation platform and SHVS mild hybrid system, which deliver excellent fuel consumption with low CO2 emissions.
This car is designed to be simple yet iconic, pure yet lovable, and innovative yet retro. The unique and minimalist body consists of plain surfaces and round roof, with straight, architectonic lines that give it a beauty and precision. The large-diameter tyres jutting out at the four corners firmly support the body and hint at the car’s power and muscular performance. Dramatic features such as the front fascia with its sunglass-clad look, the helmet-like roof, and the slits on the C-pillars which convey historic Suzuki cars of the past inspire the driver to be creative.
• Capsule-like minimalist body that gently embraces the driver.
• Plain surfaces and the round roof create a rich expression and give the body simple yet endearing character.
• Straight, architectonic lines of the shoulder and glass areas communicate beauty and precision, as does the rectangular motif repeated in features such as the front and rear lower grilles, door mirrors and handles, headlamps, and rear combination lamps.
• Sunglass-like front grille and headlamp design coupled with the headlamps’ inner architecture and helmet-like roof give the car a lovable appearance.
• Suzuki design essence including blacked-out A- and B-pillars, clamshell bonnet, and front fender garnishes are incorporated throughout the vehicle. The configuration of the area around and behind the C-pillar incorporate slits that pay tribute to historic minicars such as the Fronte Coupé and the first Cervo.
• Flared bumpers, 18-inch wheels with five-trapezoid design, and side body moulding of the side body deliver a forceful impression of a 4x4.
• Innocent White body colour, which expresses modernity, and a clean appearance that stirs the viewer’s imagination.
New environmental technologies
• New-generation platform
Suzuki’s new-generation platform is designed to efficiently increase rigidity while reducing weight via a fundamental redesign of the underbody’s structure and also optimising overall vehicle design, including parts mounted on the underbody. This improves fuel efficiency, safety, handling, stability, and NVH performance across the board. Moreover, Suzuki will streamline development by consolidating its existing four platforms to three and modularizing functional components. This will enable bringing out new cars in a more efficient way that can be tailored to fast-changing market demand.
• Innovative SHVS mild hybrid system
The SHVS (Smart Hybrid Vehicle by Suzuki), Suzuki’s new mild hybrid system incorporating an ISG (integrated starter generator), provides engine power assistance using the motor and achieves efficient power regeneration. The SHVS system used for the iM-4 also features lithium-ion batteries. Coupled with a newly-developed high-efficiency ISG, this regenerative braking system is the perfect hybrid system for a compact car. As well as improving fuel efficiency, it also keeps down the size, weight, and cost.